Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day 3 - Something you have to forgive yourself for

These questions are all quite personal but it's my blog so why not. Not like many people read it.

Forgiving myself for this is still a work in progress.
When I was young and my sister and I first joined the LDS Church we didn't have a lot of support. IE: Family to sit with on Sundays or attend activities with. So when my sister and I started making friends it was through our own efforts. My sister has always been quite shy and I have always been outgoing. So I remember exactly how this all went down. One night at a Youth Activity my sister and I showed up together and I went off with my friends and she kind of tagged along. (She is 2 years older). In the middle of that activity she asked if she could sit with our group. I said "No! Find your own friends!". It's hard enough joining a church then to have no friends and a rude sister, poor girl. She stopped attending church that day on. It will take a long time for me to forgive myself for being a dumb teenager who thought being popular was all that mattered. My sister has forgave me. She has told me many times she doesn't remember it and not to worry about it, but I still find it very hard to forgive myself for this. I have spent days months and years trying to help people come "unto the fold" and to have cast one out was AWFUL of me and I pray for forgiveness often. My sister means the world to me and to know that I have ever hurt her feelings kills me. She is a very bright, beautiful mom of the most wonderful 3 kids. She is a mother that I strive to be like. I love her so much and know she is the only sister I will ever have and I will always cherish her.

1 comment:

  1. We all have "dumb teenager" moments. I have some of my own when I was rude to my sister that I completely regret as well. You cannot blame yourself for your sister no longer attending church. I'm sure there were many factors and I'm sure she had many chances to start attending again. You cannot blame yourself for a choice that she made. Yes you could've been nicer. And yes it could've made a difference but there always could've been another day with another reason she would've stopped in the future. My point is there are so many factors there that you should finally learn to forgive yourself. Ultimately she's the one with the agency to choose. You've been an AMAZING example and sister to her since then. You should focus on those things instead.

    ReplyDelete