So many of you might know this and others this could be news to you.
Martin Luther King day 2003...
The day of my big accident. Their was a ward activity and we were all going to go sledding/snowboarding at this place up the canyon. Since my parents had just previously gotten me a snow board that previous Christmas and there was still snow on the ground I went along.(I don't remember ANY details of that day so this is second hand info). When we got to the activity it was around 5 or so at night. The place was decently lit and we all got to sledding or boarding. I had been boarding a lot before and was a decent snow boarder. As the day was coming to a close I took one last trip down the hill...and spun out of control and hit a tree. A guy in my ward saw it happen and came to check on me. I had blood coming out of my nose and ear and was unconscious. He quickly gave me a blessing and tried reviving me. I was awake enough to start crying for this guy in my ward I had a crush on who wasn't there (I know embarrassing). As they were taking me up to the car and thought I should head to he emergency room I kept saying I was tired and sitting down on the ground. They kept getting me back up and trying to drag me to the car. I also was repeating the name Sunny Bono who for all of you who don't know who he was he was married to Shar and was killed skiing after hitting a tree. They got me to the ER and apparently I was just begging for this guy I had a crush on. When I got to the ER they checked me and did an MRI. The Dr said it would take a while for the results and that I would need to stay over night for observation. So everyone went home. This was in Salt Lake mind you and we all lived in Provo.
They came back and told me that I had blood on my brain and would have to be monitored. I closed my eyes and was in and out of it for 5 days. Technically a coma. When I finally woke up I remember my legs being in so much pain. They were covered in bruises. The socks they give you at the ER are to help blood circulation so you don't get a blood clot and mine were on just to tight. I had no idea why I was in the hospital, no idea why these people were tyring to change my clothes and no idea why I was all alone. Someone had called my parents the night of the accident but told them I would be heading home soon. And apparently I talked to them and said I was fine. I had to call my roommate to pick me up because their was no way they were letting me drive home.
After the accident I noticed that I was unable to remember things. I had lost so much of my previous memory it was hard to remember where things were and who people were. If it weren't for a great journal and photos I had kept I wouldn't have ever remembered some people or things. Also when they say brain injuries can change your personality they are sooo right! I went from being fun and happy to always negative and boring. Only since a little before I met my husband was I able to come out of this "funk".
This accident left me with little memories from my mission and life before the accident. I asked my roommate when she picked me up from the hospital if I was still dating this guy I was in love with and she had to break it to me no we had broken up almost a year before. That sucked living that over again. All in all I am OK but my memories still has issues. The most biggest thing I had to re-learn you might already notice about me. My spelling and grammar. I spell like a 10 year old and have been trying to better it since the accident. Clearly I am still struggling with this but am far better then I was after the accident.
This accident caused my personality to change, caused me to lose myself basically as well as my job. But how grateful I am today to be alive and relearning all over again.
No comments:
Post a Comment